Sunday, July 31, 2011

Jeff Daniels and Grandpa's Hat

We had the chance to see Jeff Daniels recently at our local Ramsdell Theater. And yes, he did keep us laughing just as he promised he would. What a character!
But he did do one sentimental song and that was about Grandpa's hat. It was a worn felt fedora--what we used to call a "church hat". He sang about the memories that hat brought back to him and the meaning it had to a boy growing up.  And the more I thought about it the more I wished I had kept one of my grandfather's hats.  A hat that is worn enough to just fit a person's head with the worn spot right at the peak, worn from years of tipping the hat and putting it on just right.  Miss the man, love the memories.
Jeff was right, there's no other hat quite like Grandpa's hat. There's no other man quite like Grandpa. Wish I had one of his hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment